Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Get Ready With Me: My Daily Hair and Skin Care Routine

I was never into skin care and hair care until just recently.

When I was younger, I was content with any shampoo and conditioner as long as they get the job done; I never bothered moisturizing nor putting on sunscreen, even though I was constantly under the sun. My only face-care product was a dermatologist-prescribed facial wash that I still use until today.

I've never realized the impact of my constant hair treatments (bleaching, rebonding, perming, and the like) and my frequent outdoor activities until I came across several articles, forum, and Youtube videos stressing the importance of getting the hair and skin moisturized and protected from the sun. When I turned 20 (just last November), I decided that it's about time that I take care of my hair to prevent it from getting further damage and that I start practicing a skin care routine suited to protect and treat my oily skin.

I consider myself a skin and hair care newbie , and the products I use daily are in fact necessary in addressing the "issues" I have with my skin and hair.

In creating your own hair and skin care routine, choosing the type of products is really quite crucial. The products you select have to be suited to your hair and skin type, and they should actually give the nourishment and care your hair and skin need.

I have oily skin and severly-damaged hair. My hair and skin regimen are targeted to (1) prevent my hair from getting further damage, (2) protect my hair and skin from the sun's harmful rays,  and (3) keep the oiliness of my skin minimal. 


I use Clairol Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry/Damaged Hair to get accumulated dirt and oil out of my hair without stripping away moisture. I find this effective in keeping my hair from  breaking (due to damage) and this smells amazing!

I tend to interchange my conditioner every two weeks, so that my hair won't easily get used to one conditioner's effectiveness. Usually, when I am fresh from a hair-damaging treatment (like bleaching or rebonding), I use the TRESemme Smooth and Shine Conditioner as I find this really effective in preventing my hair from getting frizz and breakage from the recent treatment. I also bring this with me when I go to the beach as it's effective from keeping my hair moisturized after being soaked in saltwater. I use Schwarzkopf Extra Care Hyrdo Collagen Conditioner for Dry, Damaged Hair as sort of my everyday conditioner to retain my hair's moisture and shine.


For years now, I've been washing my face with my good ol' Celeteque (Hydration) Facial Wash. I used to interchange this with Cetaphil  but I decided to stick to this one since I like the foam and the soap-y feeling it gives. I feel like my pile of make-up and face products are thoroughly and delicately washed after every use of this trusty facial wash. Immediately after I wash my face (about twice a day), I put on my Celeteque (Acne Solutions) Oil Control Toner which helps in removing deep-seated dirt and keeping the oil on my face tame. :)

The soap I use in the shower varies a lot. After every shower, I put on Physiogel Lotion all over my body. My mom and I have been using this for years now, and I can really attest that Physiogel makes one of the best moisturizing lotions ever. This was actually prescribed by my mom's dermatologist, and we've repurchased this for more than a dozen times already.  When I go out of the house, or if I wanna slab on something that'll make me smell like a garden of flowers, I put on Victoria's Secret Sparkling Citrus  Deep-softening Body Butter in Luscious Crush (Tangerine + Passion Flower). This has a thicker consistency (which might get sticky under heat) but it smells so amazing, I'm actually quite addicted to its scent.


To protect my hair from heat damage (I iron my hair straight almost everyday), I coat it with Vitress Heat Protect Serum. Not only does this keep hair from getting burned and permanently damaged, this also actually helps in holding the straightness in. It acts as some sort of mousse or mild hair spray, as my hair retains its straightness longer if I managed to put this on before ironing.

Lastly, to protect my skin from the sun's UVA and UVB rays, I put on Belo Sun Expert Mist SPF 50  all over my body. The liquid-oily consistency makes it easier to be absorbed by my skin, compared to standard, lotion-y type sunscreens. However, I don't put this on my face as it tend to build up more oil on my already oily face. To protect my face from the sun, I use my Tony Moly Aura BB Cream with SPF 37 (which I will describe in detail in one of my next posts).

So, there you have it -my hair and skin care products I use almost daily. I've been sticking to using these products for quite some time now as I find them effective in targeting the issues I've previously mentioned.

Feel free to share your skin and hair care routine! I'm really open to trying new products out for my damaged hair and oily skin. :)


Post-script: Here's my make-up free face, fresh from the shower. My hair's not wet since I usually wash my hair at night when I have work during the day. :)



1 comment:

  1. Your hair is looking great! It's so good that you know you have to protect your skin and hair from the sun and just to treat your problems. And I'm so happy to see someone who says they have oily skin using a toner!! You really do need a moisturizer for your face though. I am a cosmetologist and before I got my license I didn't use a moisturizer either. But trust me, for oily skin, you still need one!! Try one that is light, of course.. Don't put any oil-heavy products on your skin. You could be more oily because you are not moisturizing, I know that sounds strange!!

    Oh my gosh sorry this comment turned into an education session. I don't mean to do it in a "know-it-all" way, I just like what I do and sharing helpful things with others. I suppose that's why I started blogging, hahah.

    But keep up the awesome work!! It's so great you are protecting your skin and hair!

    Much Love,
    -Stephanie Eva

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! ❤