Monday, September 15, 2014

Red Lipsticks: The Ultimate Battle

My signature look has always been my bare face + red lips.

For the longest time now, red lipsticks have constantly been my  "comfort blanket"  as red was the shade I first got comfortable wearing. I've always seen bold lips as instant perk-me-uppers to even the barest of faces, and I think virtually anyone can pull off a red lip --so long as it's the right shade for their skin. 

Being into make-up for a few years now, I've managed to try out and collect a ton of red lipsticks and have actually repurchased some of the shades I loved. 

For this post, I shall be comparing 5 red lipsticks (drugstore and MAC ones) and I'll try to be unbiased and thorough for each one. 

(L-R) MAC Viva Glam 1, MAC Russian Red, Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in 725 Love That Red, Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in 250 Standout, Maybelline Color Sensational in 547 Pleasure Me Red

Here are the lipsticks as swatched on my forearm:



From here on, I'll go from Right to Left in describing the above lipsticsk.

1. Maybelline Color Sensational 547 Pleasure Me Red



Pleasure Me Red is a pigmented, creamy red  with a bit of a glossy finish. I've used this lipstick for years now and it still doesn't fail to live up to its expectations. One application (in photo) can go a long way, and it leaves a bit of a stain when removed. It stays on for hours, and re-application (when necessary) will not dry the lips.

Due to its creamy-buttery consistency, it's quite prone to smudging and transfer. It's a true red (with a hint of a blue-red undertone) which is perfect for fair-to-beige and cool (to neutral cool) skintones. 

2. Revlon Colorbust Matte Balm in 250  Standout 


Standout  is technically a balm-stain, so it needs a couple of applications to achieve its full, matte finish. It's very buttery and glides on smoothly, and it lives up to its lipbalm properties by actually keeping the lips moisturized while it's on. It has a constant minty feeling to it, which I personally find soothing and hydrating. 

Color-wise, it's a warmer red with brown undertones -perfect for medium to dark(e)r skintones (like yours truly). Re-application is necessary after a few hours, as it is a bit prone to smudging also. It first goes on sheer, but is very buildable (through reapplication, or by putting a true lipstick on top of it).

3. Revlon Super Lustrous in 725 Love That Red   



Love That Red is a red-orange creme lipstick which has a bit of gloss to it upon first application. It's very pigmented and needs only one application. It does not stain when removed; however, it tends to make the lips dry when worn for hours. Re-application (one coat on top of another) does take out the moisture out of the lips.

Since it's an orange-y shade with a bit of a blue undertone, fair to medium skin can pull this off beautifully.

4. MAC Russian Red 



Russian Red has been my ultimate go-to lipstick of all time. It's blue undertone somehow makes my skin appear lighter and more radiant. It's a true matte lipstick, and needs a balm for it to glide on smoothly. It's also crazy pigmented and one application can last you a day.

Smuding is minimal (I assume because it's matte), but it transfers quite a lot. It stains quite well and can be very drying through re-applications. Personally, I love matte lipsticks because of their staying power, so I don't really mind that my lips are out of moisture. 

I honestly have not seen anyone who could not pull Russian Red off. :)

5. MAC Viva Glam 1



I think I may have found a new favorite that is Viva Glam 1. A matte brownish-red, it's MAC's take on a deeper, warmer red shade that's not so "in-your-face". Like Russian Red, Viva Glam 1 can be very drying on the lips, especially on multiple applications. 

--------------------

It's a tough battle between all these lipsticks, and it came down to which the lipsticks I wear more because of it's color, quality, and overall wearablity.

My two (2) red-hot lipstick picks would have to be Maybelline Color Sensational 547 Pleasure Me Red and MAC Russian Red.

What are your favorite red lipsticks? :)

5 comments:

  1. maybeline and revlon#2 looks good on u sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sis! Awesome blog. I'm a new follower! :)

      <3

      Delete
  2. They're all gorgeous! But Russian Red really stands out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks sis! are u joining blogapalooza on sat at smx aur

    ReplyDelete
  4. i tried wearing red lipstick and i think it doesn't suits me.. but when I've seen you wearing those red lippies, I love 'em now! Gorgeous!

    chibijunecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! ❤